1. Numerical Proficiency and Exceptional Logic – Of course, being great in math and logic are still the TOP priority of any accountant. Your degree plus license would be proof of this.
2. Good communication skills – A great accountant needs to have a way with words. Why? Because most of the time, you’re selling yourself. You need a great sense of professionalism when it comes to talking to clients, but you should also have a certain charm that makes the clients comfortable with you.
3. Computer Software Literacy – This is the latest edition to the skills needed. More and more accountancy firms are using cloud and mobile software. Any accountant who wishes to be competitive needs to acquire skills in using and manipulating these software.
4. An eye for detail – When you’re dealing with numbers, which is the art of precise science, one needs to have a love for details. Nothing must escape you; you want to know and need to know everything. Plus, being neat with your tables and presentations is always a plus. Data must always be presented crystal clear.
5. Passion for what you do – If a man works with passion, there is nothing he couldn’t do. Being passionate about your work – loving everything about it and not just the pay – is the key to being a successful and competitive accountant. It will be seen in your professionalism, your way of speaking to the client, the way you submit your reports. Passion can’t be hidden, and it’s what will take you to places.